Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Gresham, OR

How to Verify a Professional's License in Gresham?

Ensuring you hire the services of licensed professionals is critical to your project's success. There are multiple state licensing agencies in charge of licensing and regulating professionals operating in Gresham City, and each agency licenses specific professions. For example, the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying licenses about three categories of professionals, including engineers, while the Oregon Board of Accountancy licenses accountants. Likewise, the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (OCCB) licenses and regulates contractors in Gresham City. Residents interested in verifying a professional's license can check the respective licensing Board's online license verification portal or contact this Board. For example, residents can verify a contractor's license by checking the OCCB's Contractor License Search portal, or they can contact this Board at (503) 378-4621 or by email for licensing inquiries.

After verifying a professional's license, it is also essential to check for other requirements necessary to commence your project and how these requirements can be satisfied. For example, in Gresham City, a construction permit is typically required for construction and home improvement projects. The city's Department of Community Development issues these construction permits through its Building Permits and Inspections Division. Accordingly, you can direct construction permit inquiries to this Division at (503) 618-2845 or by email.

Oregon Contractor License Search:

Do Gresham Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Gresham currently has 17 recognized neighborhood associations. These neighborhood associations perform several roles that encourage coordination and cooperation between residents and they also notify the city government about local issues. Although neighborhood associations may perform administrative roles within their neighborhood boundaries, they do not issue building permits. Nonetheless, they may spearhead certain activities that involve land use and allocation. For example, the North Gresham Neighborhood Association (NGNA) advocated and supervised the completion of Kirk Park. The park is primarily a playground project for children within the neighborhood and across the city to safely play with one another without being exposed to roadside dangers. Similarly, the Northwest Neighborhood Association advocated the addition of park benches and an information display board in the Bella Vista Park. In October 2021, residents of the neighborhood association celebrated the inclusion of these amenities, which they believe will improve the experience of residents who visit the park.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Gresham?

The Consumer Protection Section of the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) is the Office responsible for addressing reports of unfair business practices affecting residents of Gresham City. This Office receives unfair business complaints online, by fax, email, and mail. Residents who prefer not to file their complaints online must fill a printable consumer complaint form and either email it, fax it to (503) 378-5017 or (503) 378-8910, or mail it to

  • Department of Justice
  • Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection Section
  • 1162 Court Street Northeast
  • Salem, OR 97301

To request assistance or make general inquiries regarding consumer complaint filings, residents can contact the Oregon DOJ through its consumer hotline at 1-877-877-9392.

The Oregon DOJ, through its Consumer Protection Section, assesses each complaint and may take multiple steps to address it. These steps include facilitating a mediation process and commencing a lawsuit against the relevant business or professional where appropriate. However, the Oregon DOJ can neither serve as a private attorney for complainants in any legal proceedings nor order monetary compensation in a complainant's favor. To pursue your compensation, you can consider initiating a small claims action against the erring business or professional at the Multnomah County Circuit Court. Note that you cannot claim more than $10,000 in small claims cases before this court. Also while small claims litigants can represent themselves, it is recommended that you consult a qualified attorney for legal advice before initiating a small claims action.