Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Hillsboro, OR

How to Verify a Professional's License in Hillsboro?

Professionals wishing to practice in Hillsboro require a valid license issued by boards such as the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) and the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services Building Codes Division(BCD). When you have projects requiring the services of professionals in Hillsboro, it is best you only hire professionals that have valid licenses. You can verify the license of your intended professional online via the BCD Contractor/Individual License Holder portal and the CCB's Contractor License portal.

Once your professional's credentials have been confirmed, the next step to take is completing the permit process. Several types of projects require permits in Hillsboro, and these include projects that involve the construction of new commercial or residential buildings, additions to buildings, building repair or building renovation, and change of building use. The Hillsboro City Building Department oversees the permitting process for all construction-related work in the city, and you can contact this department at (503) 681-6144 for additional information or questions related to the city's permit requirements.

Oregon Contractor License Search:

Do Hillsboro Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The neighborhoods of Hillsboro have associations that represent the residents of the city. These associations do not issue building or construction-related permits but focus on matters such as the security of the neighborhoods, collaboration with government agencies and also making recommendations concerning their respective neighborhoods to the City Council.

In February 2021, it was reported that for the first time since 2016, the influx of big industrial, construction projects, such as the $3 billion Intel factory expansion, were starting to wind down in Hillsboro. In March 2021, it was announced that transportation officials working on a proposed project to extend and realign Southeast Century Boulevard in Hillsboro were requesting public input through an open house before launching the project. The open house was planned to inform interested members of the public about the work, discuss its environmental impact, and entertain questions from the community.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Hillsboro?

Complaints involving unfair business practices by professionals and businesses in Hillsboro City can be filed with the Consumer Protection Office of the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ). You can file a complaint online using the Consumer Complaint online form, or you can download a consumer complaint form and submit it with your supporting documents by mail to:

  • Department of Justice
  • Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection Section
  • 1162 Court Street North East
  • Salem, OR 97301

Questions related to consumer complaints filing process can be directed to the Consumer Hotline toll-free at (877) 877-9392.

Complaints received by the Oregon DOJ will either be assigned to an enforcement officer if it is within the Oregon DOJ's jurisdiction or they may be referred to another government agency with jurisdiction over the matter. While state law bars the Oregon DOJ from providing legal advice to complainants, an attempt to resolve the dispute between parties will be made. If you want to seek redress through legal action, you can file a small claims suit at the Washington County Circuit Court in Hillsboro. Small claims suits allow resolution between aggrieved parties without a lawyer. Note that the maximum amount claimed in a small claims suit cannot exceed $10,000. You should contact a private attorney before initiating legal action. You can find attorneys near you via the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service's Referral Request Form, or by calling (503) 684-3763.