Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Portland, OR

How to Verify a Professional's License in Portland?

Professional Contractors operating in Portland must possess an occupational license issued by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board before they can be hired for a job. This is why it is essential to verify that the professionals you intend to hire possess the appropriate professional licenses. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board maintains an online Contractor License Search tool that you can utilize to perform this task.

Upon confirmation of a professional's license, you will also need to obtain all city-issued permits relevant to your intended project from the Portland Development Services Office. The type of permits you will have to obtain depends on the nature of the project, but typically, you may require permits for building and construction-related projects. To get information on the required permits for your projects, you can contact the city's Development Services Office at (503) 823-7300 or visit this office in person at:

  • 1900 SW Fourth Avenue
  • First Floor Lobby
  • Portland, OR 97201
Oregon Contractor License Search:

Do Portland Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Portland neighborhood associations do not issue permits to their residents or any other interested parties. Portland is made up of 94 recognized neighborhood associations and seven neighborhood district coalition offices located all around the city. The district coalition offices provide support and services to the neighborhood associations within the neighborhoods that they represent, and they are made up of local neighborhood association members. Neighborhood associations in Portland are the heart and soul of the neighborhoods, as they represent the interest of the residents. Neighborhood associations are governed by their by-laws, and they all work together to reflect the wants and needs of the residents by providing each neighborhood the opportunity to organize projects that can bring solutions to their common issues. To find out what neighborhood association your neighborhood belongs to, you can use the city's neighborhood map. You can also use the city's online alphabetical directory to get further information on these neighborhood associations. In March 2021, some neighborhood associations, including the Downtown Neighborhood Association and the Sunnyside Neighborhood Association rallied together to provide comfort to the homeless in Portland during their volunteer homeless outreach. Similarly, the Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN) had previously approved a grant funding of $14,597 for eleven community projects to provide an opportunity for neighborhood and community-based organizations to build their communities and attract more diverse members.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Portland?

The Oregon Department of Justice, through its Consumer Protection Office, handles unfair business practices and fraudulent complaints filed by residents of Portland against professionals. You can file a complaint with this office by completing an online complaint form. The online platform also allows you to upload all supporting documents that can help you prove your claims. Alternatively, you can download, complete, and mail a Consumer Complaint Form, accompanied by your supporting document, to the mailing address provided on the complaint form. You can also use this office's Search Consumer Complaint tool to learn about fraudulent businesses in the city and how to reduce your chances of falling victim to one.

When the Oregon Department of Justice receives a complaint, it is reviewed to ascertain whether it falls within its jurisdiction. If the complaint falls within the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice, it is then assigned to an enforcement officer to take necessary actions. If it is outside the Department's jurisdiction, it will be forwarded to the appropriate government agency. It should be noted that the Department of Justice cannot give you legal advice on how to pursue a private legal action. However, you can retain the services of a lawyer to take the appropriate legal action regarding any claim you may have for restitution. You can contact the Multnomah Bar Association at (503) 684-3763 to get referrals to qualified lawyers near you. However, if your restitution claim is not more than $10,000, you can file an action at the Small Claims Division of the Multnomah County Circuit Court. Although you do not need to be represented by a lawyer when filing a small claims action, you should consider using the legal aid services available on the OregonLawHelp website to get information on how to proceed with your small claims action.