Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Salem, OR

How to Verify a Professional's License in Salem?

The Oregon Construction Contractors Board is responsible for licensing eligible professional contractors who wish to operate in Salem. It is vital that you verify the licensing status of your intended professionals before you hire them. You can verify Salem professionals online via the Contractor License Search portal provided and maintained by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board.

After confirming the licensing status of your intended professionals, you also need to make sure that you obtain all city-issued permits for your planned projects before you commence work. For example, you will require permits for all construction and building-related projects, and you can obtain these permits through the Salem Permit Application Center. You can direct your queries regarding the city's permit requirements and procedures to the city's Permit Application Center by calling (503) 588-6256 or via email. You can also visit the center at its physical location of the Center on Monday through Fridays, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at:

  • 555 Liberty Street SE
  • Room 320
  • Salem, OR 97301

Oregon Contractor License Search:

Do Salem Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Salem do not issue building or construction permits to its residents. There are 18 organized neighborhood associations in Salem, and each of these associations is made up of community members who come together to create a more livable community. You can find out what neighborhood association your neighborhood belongs to via the city's neighborhood map. The neighborhood associations allow every community member to participate in government decisions and projects relating to their community developments. For instance, in 2020, the Salem Parks Foundation offered a $15,000 grant to neighborhood associations and the general public in Salem to enable them to provide ideas that can improve city parks within their respective neighborhoods. In 2021, the Morningside Neighborhood Association was awarded the Salem Parks Improvement Fund Grant of over $5,800 to enable the community to start building soft trails, signage, and mutt-mitts.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Salem?

The Oregon Department of Justice, through its Consumer Protection Office, investigates and prosecutes complaints involving unfair and deceptive business practices in Salem. You can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Office by completing an online complaint form. The online complaint filing platform also allows you to upload relevant copies of evidence to prove your claim against the subject of the complaint. Alternatively, you can download and mail a completed Consumer Complaint Form, accompanied by your supporting documents, to:

  • Department of Justice
  • Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection Section
  • 1162 Court Street NE
  • Salem, OR 97301

The Oregon Department of Justice also provides a Search Consumer Complaint portal to learn about deceptive businesses in Salem and how to mitigate your chances of falling victim to one. Note that the Oregon Department of Justice cannot represent you in private legal actions or give you legal advice on how to proceed with a personal legal action. For advice on how you can pursue legal actions against the subject of your complaints, you can retain the services of a lawyer who can advise you on the proper legal course of action. For instance, you can be advised to file a civil claim at the Marion County Justice Court, which has jurisdiction over all civil matters emanating from Salem. You can get referrals to lawyers in Salem by completing the online referral request form provided by the Oregon State Bar (OSB). Note that you may be required to pay a lawyer referral fee. You can contact the Oregon State Bar at (503) 684-3763 to get more information on its lawyer referral services.